Tuesday, September 05, 2006

And the Show must go on

As you may already know by now the candidate of Partido Acción Nacional (PAN), Felipe de Jesús Calderón Hinojosa, won the presidential race in México. But that would not be the last news that we are going to hear on that issue.
As a "chilango" (chilango is to Mexico City as newyorker is -obviously- to New York) I know that Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) is going to fight to the very end. I don't support him whatsoever. And I don't think that he is the promised Mesiah that will resolve all the problems in México. Nevertheless, I consider that all his fellow partisans and people who follow and support him, must have the right to manifest their feelings and discontent. But I am against taking the streets of my house, that means My city. In don't agree that they take all the responsability by saying that they are fighting for all of us. That's a misunderstatement.
Nobody told them to do that. What happens to the will of those who did note for AMLO? Are they taking us into account? I don't think so. Rather, they are not listening. I don't want that nobody fight for me, I have my own right and will for that matter.
This incident is a milestone in the recent history of my country. I hope that we could take a picture right now and compare it with the future ahead of us. I wish we could forsee the future and take the convinient steps to make our country grow stronger, and taking our place in the world. Improving our "imperfect" democracy by working on it. Because the year 2000 only represent the mere beginning.
But that's something that is far from the ugly truth that lies ahead of us...
The mexican parties do not represent, in any way, the real feelings and needs of the people. None of them. Don't get fool.
If someone of the principal or traditional parties -and don't forget the new ones- promise you heaven & earth, that in first instance, would make you raise and eyebrow. And second, that also would make you take a good look at your intercolutor asking yourself: Why? Why are you telling me this?
Nonetheless the recent announcement of victory made it by the Tribunal Federal Electoral (TRIFE) -the supreme electoral authority in México- must prevail to maintain certain distance from caos.
But that opens up a door to new demons and risks that could put our nation in peril.

No comments: